To swap the function of the left control key with the capslock key in Ubuntu 9.04, follow these steps:
- On the Gnome desktop go to the System menu.
- Choose Preferences and then Keyboard.
- On the Keyboard Preferences dialog, choose the Layout tab.
- Click on the Layout Options button.
- From all the available options, expand CTRL Key Position.
- Check the Swap Ctrl and CapsLock option.
- Click the Close button of the Keyboard Layout Options dialog.
- Click the Apply System-Wide button of the Keyboard Preferences dialog.
- Provide credentials if/when asked.
- Click the Close button of the Keyboard Preferences dialog.
- You are done.
This seems to work fine on the everything running on the Gnome desktop, including the Terminal. However, this technique seems to leave your xorg.conf file alone.